Monday 25 April 2016

Concept Art in Animation

Something that I am starting to get really interested in is the different ways that you can create and design a whole world and the characters that live in it. I particularly have start to enjoy drawing up all the different backgrounds and making them in different styles digitally. As digital painting is something that is very new to me I wanted to have a look at different concept art for famous animations to see how they had originally looked at the idea.

First I thought I would look at a modern example; Kung Fu Panda 3!



I really love the character sheets for this animation, mainly because they are really expressive and it really show the volume of this character. I like how they have him not only in different action positions, but also like he is reacting to something and it really brings him to life.



This is a concept of a place in the animation and I thought this was absolutely gorgeous, the colours are so bright and I really want to be able to create worlds like this of my own someday.

Next I looked at Yellow Submarine, the Beatles animation which I wanted to look at because it is such a lovely colourful animation that is quite different and crazy.





 I also thought this was an interesting animation because they had to design characters that looked like real people and I found that they did a really great job of capturing each other the band members.












 Here is a little concept piece that was created for the animation and I really like the style here of the different layers. It really looks like each drawing is on a different layer and is put on top of each other and I want to maybe look into how I can create this same effect possibly using a digital method.


No comments:

Post a Comment