Monday 1 May 2017

Makinnon & Saunders Visit

While going to Manchester to see the FACTORY studio, we also in the later part of the day got to see round puppet workshops and the actual Makinnon & Saunders studios!

Above is the outside of the studio and it didn't even have a name attached, which was really odd. On the other hand, this was explained that they do this purposely so that when they have high profile work, no one has the desire to try and come to sneak a peek.



Firstly, we went to the sculpting room where they had probably over 100 sculptures all round the room of famous characters. They also had lots of rough models where they were trying out different styles for characters, which was really interesting to see and again I couldn't take pictures as they don't want all their secrets out there! They used the method of sculpting a model our of plasticine and then painting on to it to get a better idea of how the model will look, a great way of working and planning.



We also went around the other workshops such as costume, paint and metal. I personally, like the costume department the best and if I were to go off the idea of being an animator this would be where I would want to direct myself next.

On the last part of the tour we went around the studios they had and I didn't actually know Makinnon and Saunders had studios, I just thought they made puppets. So, the first studio we went round was where they were filming for the number one Cbeebies show 'Twirlywoos'.  I had never heard of this show as someone who doesn't really watch children's TV, but it was really cute when I saw all of the puppets and sets. On this tour, we actually got to meet Barry Purves someone who I have read many books and even based most of my COP essay around! Barry was really lovely and he had lots to say about literally everything, which was really insightful. I felt in this studio I much preferred it as there was so much more going on and loads of animators to talk to. Everyone was really nice and open to questions and a chat and I was really surprised by how open everyone was. This atmosphere made me happy, as it felt like a really nice and friendly place to be and work. We also went round another of M&S' studio where they were filming for 'Raa Raa the Noisy Lion'. Here we got to go into the art department and speak to some of the people who worked in there. I really liked the art departments in both of the studios and if I were to go down any other route in stop-motion, this would be a cool place to work in.


No comments:

Post a Comment