Wednesday 10 February 2016

Coraline Sets

Coraline is one of my favourite stop motion animations so I thought it would be a good idea to look into how it was created and the production process it went through. What I particularly like about this film is the aesthetics of the whole world and the atmosphere they create within the two parallel universes. Being able to create this effect is something that is vital in the storytelling so that the narrative is portrayed in the right way, so I also want to look into the ways they created both worlds. The largest set on the film is the orchard set and it came to being 60 feet long, which is due to the need for detail as well as space for the animators to move the puppets. What I also found interesting was that the sets include small trap doors, swing away walls and completely break away so that there is space to animate and they used around 150 different sets. I looked at what the sets are made out of for ideas that I could maybe use if I come to make my own at some point and I found that the trees in the orchard used painted popcorn as the leaves! I really like when average things you wouldn't think of can be used in sets and manipulated to fit the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment